Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Garageband Recording Tips & Tricks 1

okay, so for all my music I use Garageband to record, edit & finalize my stuff, so here are some of the techniques I use. There are probably better ways to do it, this is just my way.

1. Panning out to get a 'Stereo' sound

For rapping vocals you usually don't want to record to separate tracks for both sides, so you would duplicate the layer containing your vocals, pan 1 slightly to the left (about 15%) and the other slightly to the right (also 15%), then add some reverb (or increase the reverb) to one of the layers a bit (10 or so) and add a slight echo to the other layer (4-5) and this small differentiation in sound will make the output sound more full and strong.

For pop, rock, rnb, ect. (this isn't always the best, just depends on the song style). You just want to separately record to tracks, the thing is the timing must be on point, don't be lazy, get it perfect! then lean one track to the left and one to the right (not by much) alternatively you can record 3 tracks, push 2 to either side at a stronger level and leave the other one in the middle for a powerful sound.

If your recording an entire band (separately) you can pan each instrument to a different area to create a more "live" feel.

For rappers to create a strong presence on certain words or phrases you can record ad-libs. Basically you would just be recording another layer and only say/rap the words/phrases you want to strengthen. You can also add an echo or other effects to the ad-libs to make them stronger/last longer, or record them differently than you did originally (like maybe hold the last word longer to help your vocals flow a little better and smoother.

Well this is my first "Garageband Help Article" I'll probably do more of these as I see fit, so check back and email me or comment any questions or topics I should cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment