Saturday, January 22, 2011

Holocaust Museum in Houston Review




In the "spirit" of it almost being national Holocaust Day (or whatever its called), I figured I'd review a museum. It's pretty hard to do this, since a museum is a museum, but I'll try.
First off, it's free. YES! Free is always good. I ended spending about two and a half hours there today. It has one main exhibit, that is always there, including a half hour video at the end. Now, I've been studying the Holocaust in school lately, and I actually ended up learning A LOT while I was there. It has two other exhibits at the end, that change every now and then. This time I went, there was an art exhibit dedicated to the Holocaust, and a photography exhibit. There's also an exhibit outside, that has a dedicated bench, an original boat used for smuggling Jews into neutral countries, and a train cart used to transport the Jews to the concentration camps.
You could walk into the cart, and inside, there was a thermometer. Today around the time I was there, it was about 65 degrees (in Fahrenheit), and in the cart, it was 80. Imagine how hot it was during the summer, with everyone crammed into it. There was also a wall thing dedicated to remembering the Holocaust where you could put a rock to show that you would remember and to make sure that nothing like this would ever happen again. I obviously put a rock.
Something I learned while I was there is that no only did Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, ect., ect., were sent to the concentration camps, but also Jehovah's witnesses.
I think this was more of a summary than a review. Oh well.

Byebee

No comments:

Post a Comment