Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anime: Dubs vs. Subs

So recently, I've gotten back into watching anime. I know some people would rather watch subs than dubs, and I'm going to make a pros and cons chart thing. If you don't know, dubs are the spoken version of an anime in a different language, and subs are subtitles in whatever different language, with the original Japanese dub.

Dubs
Pros:
  • You don't have to constantly be watching it. So if I'm cleaning my guinea pigs' cage, and I still want to be watching it, I can just look back at it every now and then.
  • I'm used to American voices. The voices don't seem to high or too low pitched.
  • The voice actors are usually pros, not just some random person.
  • When some of the characters speak a different language, it's usually Spanish, and since I speak some of it, the jokes make a lot more sense.
  • Some of the jokes or serious scenes are lost in translation, and the production team will decide the best way to say it. If I decide to watch the anime, and then read the manga, the voices will be in my head.
  • If a character has a different accent, it's easier to find a person for that in America than it is in Japan.
Cons:
  • The lip flaps aren't always super good. Sometimes they're off by a few milliseconds and it will get on my nerves sometimes.
  • Sometimes the jokes are inappropriate, and I don't want my parents to hear, so I have to put in ear buds.
  • Some of the voices are'n always the best, though it is cool to see how the voice develops, and it usually gets better.
  • There are sometimes the voices that do annoy me.
  • Not all of the dubbing companies will give notes to the things that are still in Japanese, so I don't know what it says.
  • Companies will usually only dub an anime if it will make them money, which isn't always the case for a lot of animes.

Subs
Pros:
  • The lip flaps are perfect.
  • The people who make the subs are usually just one person, and will give notes to the things in Japanese.
  • Some of the translations are so bad, it's hilarious.
  • You'll never see two episodes with subs with the exact same subs. (translation issues)
  • If the jokes are inappropriate, I don't have to use ear buds, because my parents don't speak Japanese.
  • You can find almost any anime with subtitles, not always with dubs.
Cons:
  • Some of the voices seem to high pitched.
  • The alternative language is usually English, or German and the accent seems weird.
  • Some of the jokes or serious scenes are lost in translation, and aren't always said best in English.
So theres good and bad things about both, so I try to mix it up and watch both.

No comments:

Post a Comment