Thursday, April 21, 2011

RANT: Stans

Okayokayokay, first off what is a "Stan".

The term stan is mainly used by rap/hip-hop fans to describe people who obsess with a certain artist and this term is derived from Eminem's song "Stan" which is about an obsessed fan who...well the lyrics speak for themselves

"Dear Slim, I wrote but you still ain't callin
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or somethin
Sometimes I scribble addresses too sloppy when I jot 'em
but anyways; fuck it, what's been up? Man how's your daughter?
My girlfriend's pregnant too, I'm bout to be a father
If I have a daughter, guess what I'ma call her?
I'ma name her Bonnie"

I was on a hip-hop forum and ran across a thread titled Drake > Eminem. I like to see others' opinions, even though...I really dislike Drake... Wow that thread was filled with just nothing but Stan posts from both sides, never knew there could be so much obsession in one forum...

On Drake's side everyone kept saying, Em only sold cause he's white...Em only sold cause of Dre...Em only sold cause of shock value...Em is a faggot...

On Eminem's side it was Drake is just a younger Lil Wayne...Drake's a jewish canadian that played on Degrassi...ect.

The only true arguments I would agree with would be Drake doesn't switch up his flow and usually has 1-3 topics he's comfortable rapping/singing about and then Eminem has straight fallen off as of lately. Drake annoys the hell out of me, "It's more than just an option...HEY HEY HEY" "Last name ever, first name greatest" rancid lines...same tone throughout....barely hip-hop to me. Drake is also trying to hard to be gangster and thug...he was born into money, had fame at an early age and took advantage of that, he reads his "freestyles" off his blackberry.

On the other hand, Eminem is past his prime. Since around 8 Mile era Marshall Mathers/Slim Shady has ceased to amaze as he did before. Other than the rare amazing song like "Deja Vu" or "Session One" not one of his newer songs/verses holds a torch up to SSLP/MMLP/TES. BUT Drake's debut album, Thank Me Later, to me was HORRIBLE. It was all over the place, didn't sound like a complete album and blended together, due to his flow and topics being extremely similar.

Well that was my rant, and this isn't just to Drake/Eminem stans...this is to any stan who will claim their favorite artist is a G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time) then refuse to back up with any legitimate reasons why.

No comments:

Post a Comment